Financial Support and Scholarships
The Department has several research and teaching assistantships to award annually. These positions require up to 20 hours of work per week and provide both stipend and tuition support. These awards are competitive and based on GRE scores, grades, and strength of reference letters. The current 9-month stipends are $17,496 for MA and PhD students.
- Download Graduate Assistantship Application Form (pdf)
- Deadline: Must be submitted with your graduate application
Several assistantships arise from funded faculty research projects and are most suitable for students whose particular backgrounds and interests align with those projects. Advance contact with potential faculty advisors may be helpful in identifying such opportunities.
The Department usually has a small pool of tuition waiver funds to allocate. The Neil Bowers and Harold Weins accounts have been used to provide irregular support for student travel and research expenses.
External Funding Opportunities
- East-West Center (Deadline: Aprox. November 1st)
- Foreign Language Area Studies Fellowship (Deadline: Aprox. January 20th)
- Ford Foundation (Deadline: Aprox. November 15th)
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program (Deadline: Aprox October 20th)
- Other sources of financial support might be located through UHM Financial Aid Services.