Our geography graduate program offers individually arranged, research-based MA and PhD degrees.
Students who enter the geography graduate program at UH Mānoa participate in world-class academic and applied geographic research under the guidance of our energetic faculty. Geography graduates are well situated to begin exciting careers in public and private sectors, and in higher education environments.
Applying for Graduate Study
Prospective MA or PhD students are encouraged to familiarize themselves with our faculty. We welcome applications from individuals whose academic interests match our expertise.
- The application deadline for Fall admission is January 15 (Fall admissions only).
1) Complete Online Graduate Application
Prospective MA and PhD students must complete the online application as provided by Graduate Division. All questions concerning the application and associated requirements should be directed to Graduate Division. There is an application fee. GRE exam results are required.
2) Upload Supplemental Documents
Applicants must submit the following documents, if applicable, through the Graduate Application Supplemental Documents Upload Website:
- Statement of Objectives: 1-2 pages describing research goals, relevant experience, and future plans.
- Three recommendation letters (academic preferred).
- Writing sample: Required for PhD. Optional for MA.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores are required from students from non-English-speaking countries.