The Department of Geography and Environment has many sources of funding to support graduate students.
- Teaching and Research Assistant Positions:
The department has a limited number of Teaching Assistant Positions to award each year. These include tuition remission and a stipend.
- Graduate Field Research Award:
This fund provides support for field research for department PhD students. Rolling deadline. Apply to the Graduate Chair.
- Graduate Research and Travel Award:
This fund provides small awards to support department graduate student research or travel to present a paper at a conference. Deadline February 01. Apply to the Graduate Chair.
- Abraham Piʻianaiʻa Graduate Scholarship:
The purpose of this fund is to assist students majoring in Geography at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, College of Social Sciences. Preference shall be given to students of Hawaiian or Part-Hawaiian ancestry. Deadline February 15. Apply through the Star System.
- Graduate Student Tuition Support:
The University provides some funding to assist with tuition costs for graduate students who do not have tuition remission through an assistantship. Funds vary. Apply to the Graduate Chair.
There are other funding opportunities through the College of Social Sciences, the University, and the East-West Center.
- East-West Center, Graduate Degree Fellowship
- College of Social Sciences, Social Science Research Institute (Grant Development)
- UH Mānoa, Graduate Student Organization (GSO)
- UH Mānoa, Star Scholarships
Many graduate students received extramural grants and fellowships to support their research. These have included:
- National Science Foundation, Geography and Spatial Science, Program Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Awards
- Ford Foundation, Fellowship Programs
- Fulbright US, Student Program Fellowships
- Social Science Research Council, International Dissertation Research Fellowship (IDRF)
- US Department of Education, Fulbright-Hays, Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad
- US Department of Education, Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships Program