Graduate Funding

The Department of Geography and Environment has many sources of funding to support graduate students.

  • Teaching and Research Assistant Positions
    The department has a limited number of Teaching Assistant positions to award each year. Applicants for admission will be automatically considered for TAships unless they opt out. For RAships, inquire directly with the faculty sponsors who are Principal Investigators. These positions include tuition remission and a stipend
  • Ev Wingert Graduate Field Research Award
    This fund provides support for pre-dissertation field research for department PhD students, with the purpose of strengthening students’ subsequent proposal for external funding. Rolling deadline. Apply to the Graduate Chair.
  • Graduate Research and Travel Award
    This fund provides small awards to support department graduate student research or travel to present a paper at a conference. Deadline February 01. Apply to the Graduate Chair.
  • Doctoral Dissertation Completion Fellowship
    The Dissertation Completion Fellowship (DCF) provides support for one doctoral student in the last year of PhD dissertation writing. The fellowship pays in-state tuition and an annual stipend of up to $20,000. Deadline May 01. Apply to the Graduate Chair.
  • Abraham Piʻianaiʻa Graduate Scholarship
    The purpose of this fund is to assist graduate students in the Department of Geography and Environment. Preference shall be given to students of Hawaiian or Part-Hawaiian ancestry. Deadline February 15. Apply through the Kuali System (UH login required).
  • Graduate Student Achievement Scholarships (Tuition Support)
    The University provides some funding to assist with tuition costs for graduate students who do not have tuition remission through an assistantship. Funds vary. Apply to the Graduate Chair.
  • Non-Resident Tuition Exemption (Tuition Support)
    The University offers a limited number of exemptions for out-of-state residents so their tuition rate is reduced to that of a resident’s tuition rate.
  • Area Studies Scholarships
    Several centers for area studies at UH Mānoa offer a variety of scholarships available to students interested in the regions. Check out the Center for Southeast Asian Studies the Center for South Asian Studies, the Center for Japanese Studies, the Center for Chinese Studies, and the Center for Korean Studies.

There are other funding opportunities through the College of Social Sciences, the University, and the East-West Center.

Many graduate students received extramural grants and fellowships to support their research. These have included: